Assessment Option 3: A Field Study of a Suburban or Urban Redevelopment- Prezi
Field Study of Suburban Development
AP Human Geography
Name of City or Site _____________________________
Create a Prezi to analyze an area that has, will or may be redeveloped.
1. Include a map showing where the area is and a map at a closer scale.
- Threshold and Range:Ask several store managers or owners how much business they do in a typical day and where their typical customer is from.Record in notebook.
- Transportation:What are the major modes of transportation to this area and how are they accommodated?
- Count and classify the types of buildings in the area in your notebook.
- Describe and evaluate the quality of the architecture.
- Describe the quality of pedestrian networks (walkability).
- In your opinion does this place “enrich, uplift and inspire the human spirit?Why?Why not?
- Find an article on the history of redevelopment of your area. Do a Google or yahoo search.Example:Osseo-Redevelopment.Find out if there is (or was) controversy or different ideas of how to develop the area.
- Survey 10 people chosen at random and ask them how they like this area and why.(optional)
- What would you do differently to redevelop this area?
You should work in teams if possible and each team should use a different area for their field study.
Due Date:Tuesday—June 3
Take photos to illustrate your findings for each step above.
Some possible areas to study:
- New Hope (Winnetka Green and City Center
- Golden Valley (55 and Winnetka Area)
- St. Louis Park (Excelsior, east of Hwy 100
- Edina (50th and France- proposed development and present situation),
- Maple Grove (Arbor Lakes)
- Osseo (Downtown)
- New Twins Stadium, Proposed Dome Renovation and Redevelopment of area, U of M stadium area,DeLasalle/Nicollet Island
- Mid-Town Global Market
- Light Rail Development
- Mercado Central
- East Lake Street Re-development- east if 35W