Monday, October 7 (WK 5 of The Book Thief)
Students will be able to make a claim and support it with details in writing.
- Write 2 body paragraphs incorporating the evidence found in The Book Thief.
Tuesday, October 8
- Finish body paragraph #3 and write conclusion
- Write Conclusion – In it, predict how you think the theme will continue throughout the final chapters of the novel, ending with your final thoughts on the theme.
- Points of emphasis from Friday's reading (pgs 257-271): Why Liesel was in some ways “forced” to take The Whistler and her interaction with Ilsa Hermann. What the mayor said in the Molching Express about hard times. When Liesel says to Ilsa, “You think you’re the only one?”(262), what does this mean? Liesel says it’s her fault as the reason Rosa lost her last client. How does Rosa respond and what does this say about their relationship at this point? What does the 7 on the dice represent? What is wrong with Tommy Muller’s ears? Who is Franz Deutscher?
- Read pages 272 – 281 – The Losers and Sketches - due tomorrow
Wednesday, October 9
- Write an introduction to your essay – start with an attention getter, introduce the theme and define it and why you feel this is the overall theme of The Book Thief. Last sentence should be your thesis statement.
- Submit your essay into Turn it in for peer editing, whether you are done or not (1st hour by 8:25 and 5th hour by 2:30)- Sign in and then ask me for directions!
- Peer edit before class tomorrow!
- Points of emphasis from yesterday’s reading: Who is Viktor Chemmel and how does he treat Rudy and Liesel? What did Liesel find of Max’s and how did it make her feel?
- Homework – Read “The Whistler and the Shoes” pages 282 – 292
- Finish any portion of the essay you maybe did not get to. You will do your final revisions on Thursday and submit a final draft.
- Complete revisions on essay and do final submittal. The revisions may be based off of your peer critiques. You may have also done some revising this weekend that can be added.
- Submit to Theme Final Draft when ready! Must be submitted by class tomorrow for full credit.
- Points of emphasis from Friday’s reading (282-292): Why was Rudy furious on his way home from Hitler Youth? What would make him feel better? Where was their next thievery and what did they get?
- Read 293 – 303
Thursday, October 10
- Discuss 293-303; review for quiz
- Quiz on Friday for Part 5
Friday, October 11
- Part 5 Quiz tomorrow
- Finish final drafts and submit finals to turnitin.com
- Read pages 303-324
Monday, October 14
- GOAL: Students will demonstrate understanding of yesterday’s reading through points of emphasis questions done in class.
- Read pages 325 – 338
- Complete points of emphasis questions
Tuesday, October 15
- Discussion through page 338 (use questions as a basis for this)
- Read Pages 339 – 350
- Part 6 quiz Wednesday!
Monday, September 16 (WK 2 of The Book Thief); Sub Day
- GOAL: Students will demonstrate knowledge up to page 100 through providing information about the novel to persuade the guest teacher to want to read it.
- Journal #4 – Finishing the The Gravedigger’s Handbook was something Liesel felt proud in doing. Describe a time when you completed something and felt happy or excited. Explain the situation in a half page.
- Read pages 101-122 and complete questions for that section - due for Tuesday!
Tuesday, September 17
- Journal #5 – Read the Poem “Courage” and write a response to it. How does Liesel display courage? Click here for poem Couragex2
- Go over Part 1 quiz tomorrow!
- Part 2 Review Activity in Pairs
- Quiz over Part 2 Thursday (pages 81-122)–this is cumulative, so you may see questions from part 1 as well!
Wednesday, September 18 (delayed start)
- GOAL: Students will demonstrate knowledge on The Book Thief through part 2.
- Go over Part 1 quiz with sample essay answers
- Part 2 Quiz – through page 122 TOMORROW - Review today.
Thursday, September 19
- PART 2 QUIZ TODAY!
- Read 125 - 141 for Monday!
Friday, September 20
- GOAL: Students will understand through discussion Ilsa Hermann, Liesel’s excitement for books, Hans’ reasoning for buying Hitler’s book, and why the hidden Jewish person might know Hans.
- Finish Reading 125-141 for Monday
- Watch One Survivor Remembers Video and write a one page paper focusing on the following: 1) Write your reaction to the video using specific examples; 2) Explain why it's important not to judge people prior to meeting them and getting to know them. Why, as Atticus Finch would put it, should we "step in their skin and walk around in it for a while"? 3) Based on the video, what can you learn about life and people, in general?